Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A computer on your wrist

You know those conversations you have where your not always listening to what you are saying? Well, I had one of those a couple of months ago with the drummer in our band. Before I knew it, I had agreed to enter the Bristol 10k run in May this year. Yikes, better get training.


Now, I used to use the Nike + system with my old iPod Nano (foot sensor in shoe and another sensor on the iPod) and it was quite good. Then I got the iPhone app and used that for a while and it was good (GPS based so no need for a foot sensor) but its quite uncomfortable running with an iPhone strapped to your arm (they are quite heavy) and at the time, a heart rate monitor was pretty expensive so I bought a Garmin Forerunner watch. The Garmin is an ace bit of kit (I have a 705 GPS on the bike) and works with any ANT + sensors so I was happy and the IOS devices where retired from running duties. That was until this week when two monumentous things happened! One, the battery went flat in the Garmin and Two, my replacement iPod Nano arrived (Apple recalled the 1st gen Nano's due to dodgy batteries). The replacement Nano is 6th gen, built in radio and more importantly, Nike +. I also needed a watch and the new Nano has some quite nice clock faces so a Tik Toc watch strap was procured and hey presto! A computer on your wrist




A suitable watch face selected and time on wake up selected




A bit like Gemini man (painfully dull 1970's private detective/invisible man/crime solving hero type TV show). The best bit though is the Nike + data, accessible from your wrist




Now, I know I'm not the first person to wear an iPod Nano as a wrist watch. Neither am I the first person to use a Nano to track a run using Nike + but I still think its cool. I spent my childhood longing for the days when we had jet packs and tin foil suits (remember, I grew up in the 1970's) so a computer on your wrist! Wow!
I have always thought an iPod, or some such MP3 player, per-loaded with subject specific material (audio files/podcasts of key science concepts etc. a few PDF's) would be good for year 11. Well, how about a P.E specific Nano? Load up with media specific to GCSE P.E or BTEC Sport and then use Nike + to track your general fitness traing (running)? Oh, and you can wear it on your wrist.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Unknown said...


southwes recording studio gives various service such as
Multi-track Recording,Recording Preproduction,Engineering
and ProducingMixing & Mastering,Songwriting, Composition,
Arranging,In-house Professional Multi-instrumentalist
Live Mixing & Live On-site RecordingP.A. Equipment Hire
CD & DVD Duplication,Convert Sheet Music to Music
Sheet Music Creation,Karaoke Backing Track Creation + Lyrics
Backing Track Creation,Studio Gift VouchersArt Studio and
Photo Shoots,Audio & Video Conversions,PowerPoint Presentations
to DVD,Rehearsal Studio,School & Group Education Sessions
On-site Accommodation.

recording studio southwest
somerset recording studio.co.uk