Monday, January 10, 2011

More about drawing on an iPad

So, after my last post, I was inspired to have a go at a bit more drawing on the iPad. A couple of years ago Mrs RNG bought a load of those "how to draw....." books from the ALDI (cheap supermarket found all over Europe) to take on holiday. If you have seen such books, you will know they start off with a grid, then add simple shapes such as squares or circles, then you add detail and then colour and shading. Anyway, I thought they might make a good starting point for an exemplar on how to draw using an iPad.


Another fine RNG drawing courtesy of iPad and SketchBook Pro!

I used iDraw to make a grid (iDraw has a graph paper background and you can specify to 1mm size and position of objects) and then saved this to the Photo's app. I then opened up SketchBook Pro and made a new layer from Photo and used the grid I had just made.
Next, I created a new layer and followed the example in the book and drew my starting shapes. Then I made another layer, drew the next shapes and then merged the layers and carried on following the instructions in then book. About 40 minutes later, I had produced the fine drawing you can see above.

Anyway, this got me thinking, what if we had iPads in school (or, what if I used the iPads that our local CLC has just bought) and produced some iPad specific drawing tutorials based on the "how to draw cars" book that I used to copy the above drawing? We/I could make the grids and possibly a basic outline as the bottom layer to get students started (or for differentiation) and then give them a printed worksheet with instruction on how to draw whatever. Brilliant idea, so that is what I did. As I drew the lorry above, I took screen shots and produced a worksheet/how to sheet/tutorial thingy which you see below.
Let me know what you think.

Oh, and for those of you who still here the old "you cannot produce documents on an iPad", or words to that effect.  The worksheet/tutorial document was made in Pages on an iPad!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: